Monday, August 2, 2021
    Home Tips How to Apply for a Spousal Visa in the UAE

    How to Apply for a Spousal Visa in the UAE

    The UAE, throughout the years, has seen an immense growth and development in its societal policies and projects. It is for this reason that the country has become one of the best destinations for work and residency among expats.

    ALSO READ: [GUIDE] Sponsoring Parents (Residence Visa for Father/Mother) in UAE

    And as the government continues to push for better legislation and immigration policies for its residents, expats have always left their doors open to the possibility of bringing their family in the country. However, in order to do so, it’s important that we take note of the process to accomplish this feat.

    How to Apply for a Spousal Visa in the UAE
    Image Credits: Amer Dubai

    Guide to Applying for a Spousal Visa in the UAE

    There are various types of visa which you can apply for each of your family members from your parents, children, and then your spouse. In this post, we will share the list of requirements, qualifications, and steps you need to undertake to obtain a visa for your spouse (husband/wife) to enter the UAE:

    Firstly, let’s take a look at the qualifications for a sponsor to bring their spouse in the country:

    • Husband Sponsoring His Wife: The sponsor must have a salary of at least AED 4,000 (or AED 3,000 with accommodation allowance from his company).
    • Wife Sponsoring Her Husband: The wife must be categorized under any of the following professions: doctor, engineer, or teacher. The wife’s salary must also be at least AED 4,000 (or AED 3,000 with accommodation allowance from her company). However, if the woman does not meet all the requirements (i.e. different profession), she may make a petition to the committee. In such cases, the wife’s salary must be at least AED 10,000 (or AED 8,000 with accommodation allowance from her company).

    Note: Please be guided, however, that this situation is handled on a case to case basis. What’s important though is to submit all proper documents and requirements in order to get a better chance of having your visa application approved.


    • Visa Application Form (filled out at the Amer Centre)
    • Salary Certificate (must be in Arabic)
    • Marriage Certificate (must be verified by MOFA – Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
    • Tenancy Contract (verified by Ejari)
    • Latest DEWA Bill
    • University Diploma of Sponsor (attested)
    • Photocopy of Sponsor’s Passport
    • Photocopy of Dependent’s (Spouse) Passport
    • Cancelled Visa Page of Dependent (if already in the UAE and has previous visa)
    • Passport Photos of Sponsor


    1. Fill out the Visa Application Form at the Amer Centre.
    2. Submit all requirements at the Amer Centre.
    3. Pay the application and other necessary fees. Upon settling your payment, you will be issued a temporary residence permit (red paper). This permit, as it is only temporary, will expire within a certain time period. During this time, be sure to complete all other requirements for your stay in the country.
    4. Undergo a medical exam. The test will be conducted by a DHA clinic. You just need to provide the documents issued at the Amer Centre and hope that the results of the tests (blood test and chest X-Ray) are all clear. Results are typically released after two business days.
    5. File a Change of Status Application. You can request for the Change of Status and the permanent residence visa stamp at the Amer Centre, as well.
    6. Apply for an Emirates ID. This is also done at the Amer Centre by just paying the service fees needed.
    7. Have your passport stamped with the permanent residence visa. Again, simply settle the required fees for this procedure at the Amer Centre.

    Remember, fees for each step may vary from one place to another but at least prepare an average of AED 500 for each procedure listed above. At the minimum, your budget should be around AED 3,000 to 4,000 when getting a spousal visa in the UAE.

    ALSO READ: UAE Rolls Out Permanent Residency Status to High-Profile Expats